The Engineers’ Guide to Technical Writing: Insights for Budding Engineers

Abdul Wadood Khan


Engineers, being hands-on experts, need to produce technical documents that are convincing to colleagues, executives, and clients. This study analyzes different technical documents written by engineers and offers instruction on how to approach the task of technical writing. The quantitative part of the study involved gathering statistics on the types of documents most frequently written by engineers and the importance engineers assign to technical writing in their career. The study participants consisted of 60 engineers selected through a snowball sampling method. Data was collected through the use of a questionnaire. The results of the data are presented in frequencies and percentages. An analysis of the data reveals that engineers currently practicing in Saudi Arabia believe writing to be important in their field. In total, 66.7% believe writing to be “very important,” whereas the remaining 33.3% believe it to be “important”; none of the respondents believe writing to be only “slightly important” or “not important.” When asked whether their background education in the engineering field adequately prepared them for writing on the job, only 30 (50%) were confident of their writing abilities following their engineering degrees. The other 30 (50%), although they found their skills in technical writing to be useful, were not confident of its adequacy in the workplace. Given the option of selecting more than one answer, respondents recorded the following frequencies for the type of writing they usually do at work: 40 out of 60 respondents (6.7%) stated that they frequently write interim or progress reports; 30 (50%) stated that they write final or recommendation reports. However, only 10 (16.7%) of the respondents revealed that they often write more focused reports, such laboratory reports. Engineers also write a fair number of non-report documents, including memos, emails, and logbook entries.


Engineering Students, ESP, Practicing Engineers, Report-writing, Technical Writing for Engineers

Full Text:



Abed, F., & Ibraheem, W. (2017). A road to scientific writing in engineering and science. Tikrit, Iraq: Tikrit University Printing.

Beer, D. F., & McMurrey, D. A. (2013). A guide to writing as an engineer. NJ: John Wiley and Sons.

Budinski, K. (2001). Engineers’ guide to technical writing. OH: ASM International.

Bush, D. W., & Campbell, C. P. (1995). How to edit technical documents. AZ: Oryx Press.

Carlowicz, A. (2005). The engineer’s need for a written contract. Engineering Times, August/September, 23.

Cash, P., McAlphine, H., & Hicks, B. (2017). The role of logbooks as mediators of engineering design work. Design Studies, 48 (January), 1–29.

Devira, M. (2017). Acquisition of academic literacy in an engineering communication course: Integration of English for specific purposes (ESP) and systemic functional linguistics (SFL). Studies in English Language and Education, 4(1), 38–53.

Doe, B., Grigg, N., Lile, D., Pruden, A., & Shannon, D. (2016.). Engineers on writing [interview]. Colorado State University. Retrieved from

Laplante, P. A. (2013). A practical guide for engineers and scientists. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group.

Lewis, G. (2003). Guidelines for forensic engineering practice. VA: American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).

Longo, B., & Kmiec, D. (2017). The IEEE guide to writing in the engineering and technical fields. NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Lutz, H., & Hering, H. (2010). How to write technical reports—Understandable structure, good design, convincing presentation. New York: Springer.

Marmo, L., & Fiorentini, L. (2015). Principles of forensic engineering applied to industrial accidents., NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Mazumder, Q. H. (2016). Introduction to engineering: An assessment and problem solving approach. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group.

McAlphine, H., Hicks, B. J., Huet, G., & Culley, S. J. (2006). An investigation into the use and content of the engineer’s logbook. Design Studies, 27(4), 481–504.

Silyn-Roberts, H. (2013). Writing for science and engineering: Papers, presentations and reports. London: Elsevier.

Tănase, D. (2017). Teaching professional and technical communication: The case of technical documentation. Sibiu, Romania: De Gruyter Open. doi:10.1515/cplbu-2017-0004

Vesilind, P. A. (2007). Public speaking and technical writing skills for engineering students. New York: Lakeshore Press.



  • There are currently no refbacks.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

2010-2023 (CC-BY) Australian International Academic Centre PTY.LTD.

Advances in Language and Literary Studies

You may require to add the '' domain to your e-mail 'safe list’ If you do not receive e-mail in your 'inbox'. Otherwise, you may check your 'Spam mail' or 'junk mail' folders.