Outcome and Complications of Rectal Tube Placement in Intestinal Obstruction Due to Sigmoid Volvulus

Changiz Gholipouri, Hassan Soleimanpour, Sahar Rafraf, Neda Gilani, Saina Gholipouri, Kavous Shahsavarinia

Abstract


Background: The most common site of colon volvulus is in the sigmoid colon and then in the cecum and transverse colon. The aim of this study was to evaluate the results of the rectal tube placement as an initial treatment for devaluation of sigmoid volvulus. Materials and Methods: In this cross-sectional study, 60 patients with sigmoid volvulus admitted to the emergency department of Imam Reza and Sina Teaching Hospitals due to intestinal obstruction were undergone blind rectal tube placement. After discharge, patients were followed up in two 1 month and 6 months intervals, so the rate of recovery, relapse, or mortality of the patient (in case of the patient’s death) were investigated. Results: Of the 60 patients reported, 41 patients (68.3%) were male, 54 patients (90%) the operation was successful and the patient was devaluated, but in the remaining 6 patients (10%) the operation was not successful and the patient immediately underwent an operation. The number of attempts to devaluation of patients with the rectal tube was once in 50 patients (83.3%), twice in 2 cases (3.3%) and three times in 8 cases (13.3%). The rate of hospitalization after surgery (in patients who had undergone surgery) was 6.44 ± 0.9 days. The overall rate of hospitalization in patients with sigmoid volvulus with initial treatment by rectal tube placement to devaluation was 5.78 ± 0.96 day. Conclusion: We suggested that rectal tube placement is less costly and available procedure in the treatment of patients with sigmoid volvulus.

Keywords


Emergency Department, Sigmoid Volvulus, Rectal Tube

Full Text:

PDF

References


Suleyman O, Kessaf AA, Ayhan KM. (2012). Sigmoid volvulus: long-term clinical outcome and review of the literature: general surgery. South African Journal of Surgery, 50(1), 9-15.

Halabi WJ, Jafari MD, Kang CY, Nguyen VQ, Carmichael JC, Mills S, et al. (2014 Feb). Colonic volvulus in the United States: trends, outcomes, and predictors of mortality. Ann Surg, 259(2), 293-301.

Ifversen AK, Kjaer DW. (2014 Dec 28). More patients should undergo surgery after sigmoid volvulus. World J Gastroenterol, 20(48), 18384-9.

Arnold GJ, Nance FC. (1973 May). Volvulus of the sigmoid colon. Ann Surg, 177(5), 527-37.

Avots-Avotins KV, Waugh DE. (1982 Apr). Colon volvulus and the geriatric patient. Surg Clin North Am, 62(2), 249-60.

Oncu M, Piskin B, Calik A, Yandi M, Alhan E. (1991 Jun). Volvulus of the sigmoid colon. S Afr J Surg, 29(2), 48-9.

Lyerly HK, Sabiston DC. (1997). Textbook of surgery: the biological basis of modern surgical practice. WB Saunders.

Hajinasrollah A, Koshkar A, Goharshenasan P, Rafiee A. (2005). The Evaluation of Relationship Between Mesosigmoid Diameters in Creating Sigmoid Volvulus. Iranian Journal of Surgery, 13(34), 24-9. [Article In Persian].

Atamanalp SS. (2013 Oct). Treatment of sigmoid volvulus: a single-center experience of 952 patients over 46.5 years. Tech Coloproctol, 17(5), 561-9.

Bruusgaard C. (1947). Volvulus of the sigmoid colon and its treatment. Surgery, 22(3), 466.

Bak MP, Boley SJ. (1986 Jan). Sigmoid volvulus in elderly patients. Am J Surg, 151(1), 71-5.

Ballantyne GH. (1982 Jul). Review of sigmoid volvulus: history and results of treatment. Dis Colon Rectum, 25(5), 494-501.

Avots-Avotins KV, Waugh DE. (1982 Apr). Colon volvulus and the geriatric patient. Surg Clin North Am, 62(2), 249-60.

Cameron JL, Cameron AM. (2013). Current Surgical Therapy: Expert Consult-Online. Elsevier Health Sciences.

Parez JLE, Pedraza TS, Torres JCE. (2013). Manejo del valvulo de sigmoides en tres hospitales integrales comunitarios de la misian madica cubana en Bolivia. Medisur, 11(1), 37-43.




DOI: https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.abcmed.v.10n.1p.7

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

2013-2022 (CC-BY) Australian International Academic Centre PTY.LTD.

Advances in Bioscience and Clinical Medicine